Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Roast Elk

I came home from work at lunch time today to start a crockpot for the night's dinner.  I took a small roast from my elk stash.  I have absolutely no idea what part of the animal this meat came from, but it is dark, lean, and has absolutely no smell.  I washed it well in the sink.  I have a thing about washing meat.  I dried it well with paper towell and made my Herb Rub.  I use this on a good beef sirloin, pork ribs, most any roasted or grilled meat. This recipe is from a Taste of Home magazine from several years back.


Herb Rub (for 2 lb sirloin tip roast)
2 t. salt
1/2 t. garlic salt
1/2 t. celery salt
1/2 t. dried rosemary, crushed
1/4 t. each pepper & onion powder & paprika
1/8 t. dill weed
1/8 t. rubbed sage.

I rubbed the seasoning into the meat. 


I thinly sliced a small potato in the bottom of the crock pot, set the roast on it and turned it to low.


4 hours later at the end of my work day.  I opened the garage door and entered.  The house smelled wonderful.  The inhabitants are talking about eating more elk.  Everyone is happy.  What more do you want?

Well, maybe some roast potatoes and green beans.   

No comments:

Post a Comment