Monday, November 23, 2009

Fresh Elk - Ginger Stir Fry

My step son shot an elk.  Now, I wasn't there.  I've been around guns and shooting all my life, but I'm where things get cooked, not where things get shot.  I reached over the side of the truck to touch its pelt, its snout, its ear.  I saw and was fascinated by the inside of its mouth.  Then a bunch of it found its way into my frig. 

Elk is a lean and tender meat.  It is not well marbeled, slices very easily.  I decided it was about to be an

Asian elk and quickly sliced about 1 1/2 lbs into bite sliced pieces.  I put 1/4 t minced fresh ginger, 3 T. of soy sauce and 1 T. dry white wine in a deep bowl, put the elk in the marinade and put it in the frig for 30 minutes.

In another small bowl, I put 1/2 cup beef broth., 1 1/2 t. hoisin suace. 1/4 t. sugar, 1 t. corn starch. I refrigerated the bowl for 30 minutes.  In the meantime, I cooked a pot of rice and started a huge pile of sliced veggied from the veggie drawer of my frig.  I put 1 T. canola oil into my pan and put my meat into the hot pan to cook.


As the meat cooked, I drained any extra liquid from the meat into my sauce.  When it was fully cooked, I transfered the meat to a plate with a slotted spoon.  I added an additional T of oil to my pan and added the veggies.  I stir fried them until tender, added back the meat and the sauce and cooked until the sauce was thickened. 
I served it over rice.  People have been talking about it ever since. 
More elk to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment