Sunday, November 1, 2009

Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry

Every Chinese restaurant has a beef and broccoli dish. I think that is very interesting, because I've read that broccoli isn't really used in traditional Chinese cooking. My husband likes it, so it shows up frequently in my cooking. This is an original recipe. I've made many versions until we reached one that tastes best to us. Like everything I make, I try to use fresh ingredients and not take all day. So I get flavor by using some commercial sauces.

My regular grocery store has one or two sale meats every week. I buy the sale meat in large quantity, then freeze portions we'll use in zip lock bags. The trick is to have what I want defrosted at the time I want to cook. It stresses me out to need a meal in 30 minutes and have a freezer full of food frozen solid. I have to have a plan. One thing I do is to slice a couple zip lock bags of sirlion on grocery day and freeze them knowing I'll use them for stir fry. The others stay as steak. As I've mentioned, my husband is a carnivore. The point is planning. Knowing what I'm making the next few days and having the ingredients ready. That means freezer management and good grocery lists.

Cantonese Beef and Broccoli
3 T. Soy Sauce
3T. White Wine
1/4 t. Lemon Pepper Seasoning
1 red bell pepper diced finely
1 T. Cider Vinegar
1T. Sugar
3 T. Commercial stir fry sauce - Cantonese Style (or one you like)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/4 lb sirloin steak, cut into very thin strips
2 T. Vegetable oil
1 T. cornstarch
3 cups broccoli floweretts
cooked white rice
Combine soy sauce, wine, vinegar, sugar, stir fry sauce, and garlic in a mixing bowl. Add meat, stirring to coat. Let stand 15 minutes or more. With a slotted spoon, remove meat to a plate and set aside the marinade. Heat oil in nonstick skillet over high heat. Add meat, stir and cook several minutes until browned lightly. Add broccoli. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 mintes. Add cornstarch to reserved marinade and add to skillet. Simmer an additional 2 minutes. Serve over white rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment