Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Ground Beef and Hominy Casserole

I've been making this dish all of my life. It is my Mom's recipe. I should say that it started out that way at least.

I have a fairly large collection of vintage recipes and cookbooks (50s, 60s, 70s). It is clear to me that our tastes have changed, become more sophisticated, and worldly. We want lower fat content, of course. There are more international influences. We also want stronger flavors. My mom made this dish with a can of stewed tomatoes instead of tomato sauce and chili powder instead of Italian seasoning and cayenne. It was more like hominy chili.

If Hominy is new for you, check out the canned vegetable aisle. If you don't find it, it is used in hispanic dishes. You may find it in that area. It comes as yellow hominy and white hominy. I use the yellow.

The advantage of having a large collection of recipes like this is you can feed you crew quickly, even on difficult days.

Ground Beef and Hominy Casserole
1 lb ground beef
1 t. dry minced onion.
2 8 oz cans of tomato sauce
1 t. salt
1 can (14.5 oz) yellow hominy, drained and rinsed
1/2 t garlice powder
2 t. Italian seasoning
1/8 t. cayenne pepper
1 c. shredded medium chedder cheese
Brown the meat and drain any excess fat. Add dry onion, tomato sauce, salt, hominy, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and cayenne. Cook on medium heat covered for approximately 15 minutes, Top with cheese. Cover and cook 5 minutes more. Do not stir after applying cheese.

2 comments:

  1. I've been on the prowl for a recipe Mom used to make that seems very similar to this one except hers also has slice black olives which makes it good. I also seem to remember canned tomatoes, which I'll just sub in for one of the tomato sauces. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sliced black olives sound good. I may try that. I think the original recipe Mom made had a can of stewed tomatoes, but I've used tomato sauce for a long time.

    ReplyDelete