Wednesday, November 18, 2009

K.I.S.S.

I have felt that my life happened in decades. When I turned 30, I was separated from first husband and divorcing, with a ton of problems and feeling very alone. When I turned 40, I was engaged to my current husband, very much in love, lusting after his big strong body, blissfully happy and feeling safe. I turned 50 in August. As I face the next decade, still in love (and some of the other things, too), I am reflecting on the future and the past.

My mother and father were type A people, very hard workers and perfectionists. Perfectionism is not a happy thing. Although I have many of the same tendencies, I've reached a truce with them. I'm still organized and a planner, to a fault. My husband is more spontaneous and encourages me to get my head out of my planner. I hold his feet down so he doesn't float off. At the best, we create a certain synergy, using his great talents and skills when they serve us best and my ability to organize and categorize and figure things out when that serves us best.

My current obsession is that I've made my life too hard. I've done it to myself. It could have been easier if I had only let it. I wanted to entertain like Martha Stewart, run for Congress, write books, go to law school. In reality, I've done better than those things and I am ready to release and forgive myself. I am what I am and that is really pretty good.

If you haven't figure out yet, I think about food all of the time, every day, every hour, I'm always hungry. Here is my Herb Slow Roast Chicken. It is ridiculously simple and most of the work is done the day before. I've made 2 or 3 at a time when I have a group coming. All you need is potatoes or bread and a vegetable and you are eating.

My Herb Roast Chicken
4 t. salt
1 t. paprika
1 t. cayenne
1 t. dry minced onion
1/2 t. poulty seasoning
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/8 t. sage
1 t. fresh ground pepper.
1 large chicken.

Remove giblets from chicken. Clean the chicken well by putting him in a freshly scoured sink and running water through him, rubbing all over.

There is usually some extra fat at the spot that is the last to go over the fence. Pull that off. I actually wash chickens with dish soup, but that's probably over kill. Once he is freshly showered, give him a rub down with several paper towels to dry him as well as you can.

Turn the wings in on themselves like this. Otherwise, they burn.


In a small bowl, combine all spices.
Rub the spice mixture into the chicken thoroughly. Paula Deene says she believes in "rubbing her meat, y'all", then gives a naughty smile, but rubbing seasoning into the meat has a purpose. Put chicken in a roasting dish and cover. Refrigerate overnight or up to two days. I once did this without the waiting period and it wasn't as good, so don't skip this. The seasoning soaks in and gives flavor.

Now on the day you want to serve. Roast, uncovered at 250 for 5 hours. If you are a cook, you know that roasting is usually done at a higher heat, but I am serious. The end product will be like a rotissery chicken from the deli. Trust me.

If you are home, basting with the juices occasionally is nice. I often come home at lunch and start it, then go back to work, so this isn't necessary. Remove any extra liquid from the roasting pan. Allow it to rest on the counter for 10 minutes before carving. This chicken is so well done that the legs are loose but it is moist and has lots of flavor. I've entertained well and easily with this many times. You won't be disappointed. So Keep it Simple Stupid and don't be afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment