Sunday, November 15, 2009

Eating In / Sheppards Pie, sort of

My lovely daughter-in-law had a really bad day yesterday. Happens to everyone from time to time. I wanted to help, but there are so many things I don't do that well. No really, my skill set is fairly small. But one thing I know, I can feed people.

I told her I would bring by dinner for the family so that she could have a nap or some extra relaxation. But I also worked a few hours yesterday. My step-son is a carnivore, just like his dad. He also has a good appetite. I wanted to include vegetables and needed something I could transport easily. And I needed something for us at my house.

I've been working on a sheppards pie which is usually lamb and other meat with vegetables in a sauce covered by mashed potatoes and baked. It's delicious but can be an undertaking. Here's what we had.

Shepards Pie, Sort of
3 lbs hamburger
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups sliced mushrooms
32 oz bag frozen peas and carrots
2 1/2 t. salt
2 12 oz jars of beef gravy
1/2 c. red wine
1 1/2 t. Italian seasoning
32 oz bag of frozen hashbrowns, defrosted
2 cups parmesan cheese, shredded

Cook the hamburger in a large pot or soup kettle. Drain of excess grease. Add onions, garlic, mushrooms, peas and carrots, and salt. Bring to simmer and cook until the contents are hot. Continue cooking for 10 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add jars of gravy, red wine, and Italian seasoning to the pot and continue cooking another 10 mintues.

Divide the contents of the pot into two dishes.

Top the two casseroles with the hashbrown potatoes, spreading evenly over both. Sprinkle the cheese over the hashbrowns. I salted the top because the potatoes has no salt added.

Return to the oven for an additional 15 minutes. A lot of food in less than an hour and less than $10. I wrapped the container with foil and took it to them. I called ahead to tell them to turn on their oven. When I got there, I put the tray in the oven and told them to eat when they were ready. Then I went home and gave the same thing to my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment