Saturday, January 15, 2011

Asian Pacific Cod

They are gone, so it's just us for tonight.  They'll be back after dinner.  The Pacific Cod looked good at the store.  At $6.99, not a bad price.  I bought .631 lbs.  The total price for fish for the two of us - $4.41 ($2.20 per serving.) 

My marinade
1 1/2 T. rice vinegar
1/2 c. soy sauce
1/2 c. white wine
1 clove garlic, minced
1 T. fresh ginger, peeled and shredded (Put the left over in a baggy and back in the freezer)
1 T. local honey

Here is the garlic I've been buying at Diane's Produce.  Diane says it was grown locally, which is nice.  It's not beautiful or white and it's hard as a rock.  But it tastes awesome.  Thank's Diane. 



I've been buying local honey from Diane also.  Honey House Farms in Battleground.  I want honey bees.  There's room at our business property.  But I can't have them for the same reason I can't have a few chickens.  (1)  Taking care of a 110 pound golden retriever is about all the responsibility I can take, and (2) I can't buy cut flowers because I feel bad when they die, and they are going to die.  The first chicken to die or the first bad honey year and I'd be sad and I'm trying hard not to be sad. 

I don't think marinading fish for very long is needed. Maybe a total of an hour, 1/2 hr on both sides.  The flesh starts to darken.  







Heat good oil in a skillet.  Put the fish into the skillet.  Then pour the marinade in with it.  I guess the cooking method here is more like poaching.  Just a few minutes on both sides until the fish is just opaque all the way through. 

I'll eat anything raw, any sushi they make, oyster shooters on the beach pried open with a screw driver.  You name it; I'm an adventurous eater.  But when I go to cook fish, I cook it through.  Just saying.  That's where I'm at.

After the fish is out of the pan, bring the heat up to a boil, reduce heat to a steady simmer and simmer the sauce a few minutes. 

White rice on the plate.  Spoon a little of the sauce over the rice.  The fish on top.  A little more sauce over that.  Husband says it's delicious.  A salad to round it out.  I'm into blue cheese right now.  Husband is into Paul Newman's Oil and Vinegar.

Remember to have fun.  And are they back yet?  Please come back. 

Linked with Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen's Country Cottage  http://mizhelenscountrycottage.blogspot.com/2011/01/full-plate-thursday-1-20-11.html

4 comments:

  1. This sounds yum - and wouldn't you know - Grumpy's favorite fish is Cod. He loves it battered and fried but this sounds a whole lot healthier to me! Thanks for stopping by....and just maybe Grumpy IS a French Cat! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have the Asian Supermarket "Ranch 99?" I love to go in there and watch the live fish. Prices are low too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelby. I enjoy your blog. Wish I was a French Cat. But no, I'm the cook.

    Richard. I don't think we have that. It doesn't ring a bell. Wait a second. What did I do before Google? They have them in the Seattle area, but not the Portland area. I see there is one in Dublin. Next time we visit you, please take me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited that you brought your wonderful Cod today. I looks so delicious and I can't wait to try it. Thank you so much for coming to Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

    ReplyDelete