Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Stir Fried Chicken and Vegetables

I could eat Chinese food every day.  Well, what I like is probably not authentic Chinese.  I love beef and brocolli, sweet and sour chicken, orange sesame anything.  Just keep it coming.  I love the smell of it, the way the air feels, the sizzle, it makes me warm and happy.

Husband had a little upset stomach yesterday and didn't eat much lunch today.  So I wasn't really sure whether to cook.  But I started pulling out things and decided that if he didn't want any, we'd have good left overs.  And I'm glad I did.  At dinner time, he came down sniffing the air and said that he was glad I had cooked because he was hungry.  And I got my kiss on the neck, so all is good.

Stir Fried Chicken and Vegetables.

3 boneless chicken breasts, sliced into bite size pieces.
Merinade for chicken
1/4 t. minced fresh ginger
3 T. Soy sauce
1 T. white wine.

Combine merinade and chicken pieces in a shallow bowl or pie plate and set aside.  With a fork, turn the pieces of chicken over to coat every 10 mintutes.  Merinade for at least 30 minutes.  This is a good base to any chicken dish that has an
Asian feel.  Lots of flavor.  This advice about Asian food comes for the daughter of a couple of Oklahoma farmers, so take it for what it's worth.

Stir Fry Sauce
1/2 c. beef broth
1 1/2 t. hoisen sauce
1/4 t. sugar
1 t. corn starch. 
1 t. sweet chili sauce
This is my standard stir fry sauce.  Combine ingredients and set aside.
Any one who has a really good basic stir fry sauce, please e-mail it to me, but this is a pretty good one.

4 small carrots peeled and cut into match sticks
8 oz pkg snap peas
3/4 lb crimini mushrooms cleaned and quartered
7.25 oz pkg of good Asian style noodles.



Now in a large skillet, heat 1 T. canola oil. Add the chicken a piece at a time with tongs, then carefully add the marinade.  Cook on medium temp turning the chicken pieces to cook on all sides.  As the chicken gets mostly cooked, add the vegetables and continue cooking. 


When vegetables are mostly cooked, add the stir fry sauce and noodles.  My currently favorite noodles are soft and come in the refrigerated section of the store. 




If you are using a dry noodle you may need to cook them separately.  See the package.  If your noodles come with a seasoning packet, throw it away.  Don't cook with powder.  It isn't food.

My stir fry sauce will thicken only after it comes to a boil.  So bring everything back to a boil, stiring gently to combine.  When the sauce is thickened.  Serve.

Remember to create little comforts for those around you.  






No comments:

Post a Comment