Saturday, February 20, 2010

Hamburger Vegetable Soup/Remember what is important

There has been a little drama recently in my husband's family, a disagreement, some boundary issues.  And not in a good way.  In a defend-my-husband sort of way.  In a I-deserve-to-speak-my-truth sort of way, but also a please-come-for-potroast-on-Sunday sort of way. 

Life is not easy, kids.  Not for anyone.  That's just it.  So you have to decide what is important.  You have to decide where you stand.  You have to make decisions about what life you are going to live.

So here is My Declaration.  Here is where I stand.  I'm going to make more soup.  It's as simple as that.  Soup is comfort.  Soup feels good.  Soup is a reminder that the simple things are the most important.  Soup feeds the souls around you, no matter what, but doesn't take sides.  If you don't want to eat my soup, fine.  But I recommend my soup.

And so, this recipe happened quickly one evening when I need to relieve some stress and feel good. 

Hamburger Vegetable Soup
1 pound of hamburger
1/2 a yellow onion, diced
2 stalks of celery, chopped
2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 32 oz box of beef broth
1 T. dry oregano
1 1/2 c. small pasta
2 large carrots, sliced
1 14.6 can green beans
1 t. salt.

In a large soup pot, brown hamburger with onion and celery until vegetables are soft.  Drain off any liquid from meat.  Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer, cover pot, and cook for 30 minutes.  I like a little sour cream and parmesan cheese on soup like this.  Left overs make good lunch or can be frozen for later.

And look at this cutey pasta.  I've been looking for a place to use it.  Don't know about you, but I'm feeling better already.

And a couple more things about that.  With an adult mind, I realize that my parents had a tough time when I was young.  I remember it, but I never felt it, because they didn't share it with me.  For me, growing up was safe and warm.  And when it was cold, there was always a place to go to get warm again.  Handle your problems carefully, privately.  Keep a safe place around you that the people you love can come to if they need to get warm.  But remember that it is okay to set boundaries in that space. 

Remember to feel good and not carry other's problems on your shoulders.  

No comments:

Post a Comment