Saturday, April 23, 2011

Last Big Roast and My Favorite Herb Rub.

This is the last big roast from our local 1/2 beef we bought.  No worries.  I just recently set up a good replacement for our freezer full of local meat.  I'll be talking about this soon.

It's a big roast; 4 lbs or maybe more.  I think it is fun and interesting how different the locally butchered beef looks compared to meat you can buy at Safeway, Albertson's, etc.  But I can't go back.  Meat from the butcher is better.  

My favorite herb rub came from Taste of Home way back.  Probably 10 years ago.  It makes a nice crust and flavors the meat well.  We've enjoyed it over and over.  I've rubbed it on ribs and pork chops, let stand, and then sauced them for barbecue.  It has flavored many types of meat.

Herb rub for a 2 lb roast. 
2 t. salt
1/2 t. powdered garlic
1/2 t. celery salt
1/2 t. dried rosemary, crushed
1/4 t. each pepper, onion power and paprika
1/8 t. dill weed
1/8 t. rubbed sage

Combine seasoning.  Rub over roast.  Cover and refrigerate for at least hours.  Or not, but it improves it.  Place the roast on a rack in a roasting pan.  Bake uncovered until 160 degrees internal temp by a meat thermometer. 



I meant to roast it on the weekend when I had like a reasonable period of time to like do it, but I didn't.  Early in the week, I decided to come home at lunch time and start it.  I got a new Electrolux stove the summer of 2010 as part of the forced remodel.  It has a feature where you put the food in the oven and program the oven to come on when you want it to and go off when you want it to.  I haven't tried it yet.  It shouldn't be that hard.

So, I'm home cooking spaghetti and reheating pasta sauce for our lunch.  Can I do this?  I'm not computer illiterate, but this sucker has a lot of buttons. 

I want it to come on at 2 p.m.  It's 11:20 or so. 


I'm not clear when it will be done, but I set it come turn itself off at 5 p.m.  I'm pretty sure I'll be there ready to supervise the situation by around 4 or 4:30.  





Press start.  Wish me luck.  I grab my pasta and reheated sauce, some fruit, cookies and nuts.  Back to work I go.  

I return home to a nicely done roast.  The meat thermometer reads right.  The slice taken in to Husband gets approval.  Potato and green vegetable and we are ready to eat. 




Remember to do things differently sometimes and don't be afraid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment