Sunday, March 20, 2011

Farmer's Market and What's Happening in the Greenhouse

I served as a volunteer on opening day of Farmer's Market yesterday, in Vancouver, WA.   It is something I've been thinking of for a while now.  Last summer was so chaotic with the forced remodel.  This summer I'm hoping for a few things:  (1) Be happy, (2) Have a garden I'm proud of which means the time to spend on planning and maintenance.  I've already started, (3) Be happy, (4) Do some canning and get some food put by.  My mother and grandmother spent all summer canning.  I have the most happy memories of it, (5) Support local small businesses as I want my own small business supported, (6) Oh, and I already mentioned the happy part. 

I think the Farmer's Market might be part of my plans.  I don't always do well or feel comfortable in a crowd and I sometimes get tongue tied with people I don't know, but the market folks made me feel comfortable.  I'm looking forward to going back, soon.

Can't garden much with record rainfall, but here's what's going on in my greenhouse.  It's running between mid 30's F at night and mid 70's F during the day.  I enjoy observing and recording the temperature changes.  There are flats of various clippings which I am attempting to root using powdered rooting hormone.  Some are a huge successes.  Others, a "failure."  My experiments aren't real failures because I learn from each and there are not consequences.  My "failures" end up making compost. 

"Hens and chickens" that Step Daughter's uncle gave me last summer.  Not sure what I'll be doing with them.  They are an old fashioned plant which reminds me of my grandmother's rock garden and makes me happy. 

Strawberry start volunteers that sprouted from a previous experiment.  Again, not sure what I'll do with them, but something.  



Flats and flats of lettuce sprouted from seed.  The only thing currently in my raised beds is radishes and carrots.  I suppose I'll be planting lettuce soon, if it every stops raining.




Other plants just waiting for their chance.  The greenhouse is a handy place to keep things. 

These logs have had holes drilled in them.  Plugs with spores of Shitake mushrooms have been hammered into the drilled out holes. 

I mist them daily.  They need to stay below 70 Degrees. 

As soon as there are sunny warm days, they'll need to go into the garage or a closet.  My greenhouse hovers in the 80 to 90 degree range on a warm sunny day.  Will I grow Shitake mushrooms?




If this seems foolhardy, Remember to have hope.

 

2 comments:

  1. Great stuff! Love your list, and the hens and chicks, are great. I will have to look at the farmers market this year, I wish parking was better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melynda, did you know there is an East Side Vancouver Farmers Market? It hasn't been going long, but I met this year's director. An outgoing and fascinating woman; I liked her. It is smaller, at an elementary school. Parking might be better. I don't exactly get where yet but east of 205 in Vancouver. Starts in May. You want to go?

    ReplyDelete