Monday, March 8, 2010

Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole

I haven't been completely honest.  I've always said that I never cook with powder or seasoning packets.  And that's almost true.  My husband loves, and I mean loves, long grain and wild rice mix.  He always has.  And he is a good husband.  Although he is a carnivore, he eats every piece of fruit I give him.  So when the stuff is on sale at my local market, I buy a few boxes and set them back.  They are some sort of comfort food for him and don't we all need comfort now and then.  

This is another one of those, I've been making it forever and everyone loves it, things

Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole.
1 box of long grain and wild rice mix, prepared according to the directions

Meanwhile, melt 1/4 c. butter.  Add 1/2 red pepper diced and 1 stalk of celery diced.  Cook until the vegetables are nice and soft.  Add a 1/3 c. flour and stir into a paste.  1 cup milk and 1 c. chicken broth and stir until smooth.  1/2 t. salt and 1/8 t. pepper. 

The remainder of the lemon and thyme roasted chicken which I made last night but didn't blog about.  About 2 cups, chopped.  The rest will be chicken broth tomorrow.

I normally add 1/3 c. fresh parsley chopped, but my step-grandaughter has been eating it while I cooked, the silly girl.  1/4 c. slivered almonds and stir it well.   

Then turn into sprayed casserole dish and cook at 350 for 30 minutes.  The liquid sets up into a savory custard.  Left overs are good.  


And now, I'll get busy on Buttered Carrots with Marjoram, from the carrots a bought at Diane's produce market.  That story is coming up.

Remember to be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment