Sunday, March 21, 2010

Apple Butter

I'm almost out of jam.  I found one little 1/2 pint in the back of my pull out, but that's it.  It will be a while before I can start strawberry rhubarb jam.  I've been enjoying all the blogger talk about marmelade, but I'm just not a marmelade sort of girl. 

So back to my roots once again.  And back to Diane's produce.  I bought a total of 4 pounds of apples (1/2 fujis and 1/2 galas) from her for a total of $2.76.  They came through the Hood River distributor, which I've decided is okay with me for now. 

My canning isn't original or family recipes.  As I've already mentioned the only canning recipe I came away with from the family is the strawberry rhubarb jam.  And it was my own fault for not listening.  So I've decided not to post canning recipes unless to are truly mine to give.  Here is the recipe I used.  I following the directions exactly. 

I sterilized everything including the funnel and ladel in the dishwasher.


I kept my lids hot by keeping them in a skillet of simmering water and fishing them out as needed with tongs. 



I used my big kettle as my canner. 
This recipe isn't very clear on the yield, but I got (7) 1/2 pints plus most of another.

And what will I do with my apple butter?  Well on toast of course.  Also, in my yogurt, to sweeten my cereal, and maybe on ice cream.  We'll see if Papa likes it.  And I'll try to give it to the kids.

As I found myself saying this week, "food doesn't come from Starbucks."

Remember the old fashioned things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment