Monday, October 25, 2010

Savorty Sausage and Potato Skillet

We are feeling better and starting to have an appetite.  I'm cooking tonight and looking forward to it.  I miss it when I don't cook. It makes me happy.  Oh, and I can't recommend drinking wine when you are sick.  Just saying.

I have friends who say they are frustrated because they get to dinner time and have no idea what to fix.  They stop by Safeway for prepared food, or even inspiration.  Or they bring home Chinese food or pizza. Or they go to Costco for frozen food like items in a plastic bag. 



I don't think it is optional that we eat real food regularly.  Apples Oranges, Grapes, Broccoli, Beans.  This is not special occasion food.  On one of those nights when I didn't know that to fix, I started rummaging through my pantry and fridge and created this dish.  This is an original recipe.  I offer it for those special days when you just need some help.


Savory Sausage and Potato Skillet
2 T. olive oil or good oil of your choice
5 cups coarsely chopped small red potatoes, clean, skin on
15 oz package smoked beef sausage ring, sliced
1 scallion, finely chopped.
 and 2 cloves of garlic, minced
8 oz can tomato sauce.
1/2 t. salt
2 t. Italian seasoning
Pinch of cayenne

Heat the oil to high in a good skillet.  Add potatoes, moving them with a spoon as they cook for about 5 minutes.  Add 1/2 cup water.  Reduce heat to medium and add a lid.  Stir every minute or so for a few more minutes until the potatoes are starting to soften.  If this doesn't happen fast enough for you, cut them smaller next time.

Add the scallion, garlic Tomato sauce, and seasoning.  Toss to combine.  Reduce heat to a simmer with the lid on.  Stir every couple minutes for 5 minutes total. 

Once the potatoes are cooked, you are ready to serve. 

By the way, if you are in the market for an oven/stove, I highly recommend looking into a warming drawer.  I recently bought a stove with a warming drawer and it has changed everything.  If we are not quite ready to eat, everything goes into the warming drawer until we are.  No worries about cold food, or scorching the bottom of the pan.  Move onto an other dish without worry for the first.  Can't say enough.

Remember to get better.   

3 comments:

  1. Hi LeAnn, I would of never thought to put the tomato sauce over this dish, but it sure sounds delicious. We don't usually keep red spuds around, but I am thinking this would be good with regular. Thanks, I can always use a quick dish!

    PS glad you are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy shopping at Whole Paycheck (oops, I mean Whole Foods) for quality ingredients but I wondered whether they are cost-justified so we're doing blind tastings. The first test was an expensive cheddar cheese, which won out on taste but we concluded it's not enough better for the extra cost. I'm doing a chicken comparison next: a fresh Whole Foods vs frozen Foster Farms chicken breast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, Oz. Wish I was retired and could do great stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete