Saturday, October 16, 2010

My Mom's Raw Apple & Nut Cake

Does anyone reading this have a suggestion?  I just love this recipe in the fall, but it is an old recipe.  Something, my mom made, and it calls for shortening.  Can I substitute another oil and get the same result?

It comes out with a crunchy top but so soft and nice inside.  I suspect you would loose some of the texture with another oil. 






Mom's Raw Apple & Nut Cake
Cream 1/2 c. shortening, 2 c. sugar.  Beat well:  2 eggs; then add to creamed mixture with 1 t. vanilla. 

Sift together and add to creamed mixture:  2 c. flour, 2 t. soda, 1 t. cinnamon, 1 t. nutmeg.  Then add 4 c. raw apples, peeled and diced fine, 1/2 c. nuts and 3/4 c. raisins (optional).

This is a very stiff dough.  Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

My 8 x 13 Pyrex sprayed with cooking spray is what I've always used.





Remember to get your apple a day!




2 comments:

  1. Hi LeAnn, try this one, it is almost the same ingredients except calls for oil not shortening. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have through the years.

    http://momssundaycafe.blogspot.com/2010/10/did-i-ever-tell-you-that.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi LeAnn,

    I’d like to invite you to become a fan of my “Inspire!” Facebook page. Stop by any time for some positive, uplifting messages and to leave your own comments. Thanks!

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Inspire/338562522284?ref=ts

    Ron

    ReplyDelete