Thursday, September 23, 2010

My Mom's Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

As Step Son is to be married tomorrow, and family is gathering, I am making happy occasion food.  Do you know what I mean?  Is there food that means fatigue or sick, happy or sad to you?  I realize not everyone has this relationship with food and life. This is my mom's recipe in her hand writing.  I can't remember exactly how I got it, when she gave it to me or under what situation, but I have had it for a very long time.

Mom's Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
1 1/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. all purpose flour
1/2 t. grated orange peel  (opt)
3 c. cut up rhubarb (1/2 inch pieces)
3 c. strawberries, sliced
2 T. butter 
A double pie crust

Arrange the bottom pie crust in a pie plate that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Combine all other ingredients and mix well.  Pour into prepared crust. 

Add top crust and crimp edges.  Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees until done. 



Remember to celebrate happy occasions with happy food.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, there is food that bring back happy times and log gone places.
    I usually just bake this pie when rhubarb is in season. Around April or so. My family loves it but it is hard to find it afterwards. not even frozen.

    Thanks for visiting, and by the way great cozy kitchen you have.

    Mely

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love rhubarb, this looks so good! Thanks for sharing this great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mely, If you have a small patch of ground a single Rhubarb plant, can produce many pies each year. I pack it away in my own freezer. It is good in bread and dessert. A simple and old fashioned thing that makes me feel happy.

    ReplyDelete