Friday, September 17, 2010

Comfort food at the Osbornes - Sage and Cheese Meatloaf and Roast Garlic Mash Potatoes

We are both a little down in the dumps tonight.  Nothing really.  Just tired.  A comfort food night is in order at the Osbornes.  This should actually feed 4 people, but it makes good sandwiches the next day if there are 2.

Sage and Cheese Small Meat Loaf
1 egg
3 T. chili sauce
1/3 c. commercial bread crumbs
4 T. shredded swiss cheese (Gruyere is also good)
1 t. dry onion
1 garlic clove minced
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. rubbed sage
1/8 t. pepper
3/4 lb to 1 lb ground beef

Combine all ingredients in a bowl.  Clean hands are the best tool.  Don't be shy about smushing this through your fingers.  It needs to be well mixed.  I won't tell anyone if you enjoy how it feels.  Take off your rings before and wash your hands after.  Just stuff we all learned in kindergarten.

Oh, and if you don't have chili sauce, Ketchup with a couple shakes of hot sauce is fine.  I'm not one to run out and buy an ingredient, just 'cause the recipe calls for it if I don't have a plan to use the rest of it.

Shape it into a slightly flattened ball.  Place uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 50 - 60 minutes.  This is not fancy.  You won't see it on Food Network.  But you can do it on a week night when you are tired.  And you don't have to go to the grocery store first.

I might mention that I've laid pieces of bacon across this prior to baking many times, but not tonight.  If you do that, cut them to fit and press them into the meat just a bit so they don't curl up as they cook.  I've also added a little more chili sauce and 2 more T. cheese on top once cooked and bake an additional 4-5 minutes. 

A little down in the dumps are you?  Here are your choices: 



  1. Mall therapy including a nice meal out.  Not a bad plan if it fits the budget, but does it really make you feel better?  My experience with that is it is very, very temporary.
  2. Go to bed and have a Pitty Party. I'm not one to criticize.  I've been there. 
  3. I don't know what?  Drink a bottle of wine.  Eat a carton of ice cream.  Not my thing so I don't know if that makes you really feel better... but my feeling is No!
  4. Or Sage and Cheese Meat Loaf and Roast Garlic Whipped Potatoes.
I vote for #4.  What do you think?

Oh, and if you make sandwiches out of this.  Good bread toasted, Ketchup or chili sauce or barbecue sauce, melt some mozzarella cheese on it.  A big pickle and a glass of milk.  I'm just saying.

Remember to feel good.

Oh, and the roast garlic mashed potatoes are next.

Oh, and this post is linked to the Hearth N Soul Blog Hop. 

http://girlichef.blogspot.com/2010/09/hearth-n-soul-blog-hop-volume-15.html

and Simple Lives Thursdays at Glowfglins

http://gnowfglins.com/2010/09/23/simple-lives-thursday-11/

Check it out.

7 comments:

  1. What a great post, a little bit of everything:

    food

    wisdom

    great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely comfort food at its best! Thank you for sharing a delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing like comfort food to return your spirits! This recipe would do it for me. Thanks for sharing with the blog hop at Hearth and Soul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously, meatloaf with a big, fluffy pile of potatoes is one of my ultimate comfort meals! Love your version, sounds awesome! Thank you for sharing it with the hearth and soul hop this week! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cheese in my meatloaf - it just adds a bit of something special - the perfect comfort food! Thanks for linking to hearth and soul!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Leanne! Thanks so much for linking to the hearth and soul hop. I love meatloaf as comfort food, but never thought to use sage in it. Very cool variation. Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete