Thursday, June 2, 2011

Moving on to Yogurt: Ginger Yogurt Loaf

Yogurt's next. But first, I'm finishing out ginger with a recipe my co-worker just gave me the other day when I was gushing about candied ginger at work.  It's a family recipe which I was honored to receive. 

She says she thinks a neighbor gave it to her grandmother, who gave it to her mother, who gave it to her.  She's younger than me, but my mom and grandmother never heard of candied ginger, so I'm impressed. 

I haven't made it yet, because we are on a little bit of a diet, but I will just as soon as there are others in the house to help us eat it. 


Ginger Yogurt Loaf
4 T. unsalted butter at room temp
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. molasess
1/2 c. minced crystalized ginger
2 eggs at room temp
1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. ground allspice
1/4 t. ground nutmeg
1/2 c. plain yogurt (or buttermilk)

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Butter 9 x 4 loaf pan and line bottom with parchment paper.  In a bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy.  Stir in molasses and crystalized ginger.  Beat in the eggs one at a time.  In another bowl, sift together the flour, soda, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg.  Stir in flour mixture in thirds, alternating with yogurt and beginning and ending with the flour.  Mix until smooth.  Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top.  Bake until cake tests done, about 45 - 50 minutes.  Transfer to a cooling rack.

1 comment:

  1. I really like yogurt in baked goods. Makes it so delicious and moist.

    ReplyDelete