Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Stir Fried Shrimp

I'm on a quest to be more organized and less reactive with our food needs.  I've got a half a beef coming from a local rancher, so I'm busy cleaning out the freezer.  I'm thinking a lot about how I can do a better job of supplying a good dinner and lunch every day with local meats and local fruits and vegetables.  I'm reading every label.  Husband is a little worried with the changes, but there really aren't that many.  Although I know where my shrimp came from now, I bought them anyway. 

I'm thinking about Annettes guest blogger, Jess, over at SustainableEats, who wants to eat more local food and make more conscious decisions but has trouble. 

http://www.sustainableeats.com/2010/04/15/guest-post-jess-aspires-to-conscious-eating/

And he is right.  You just have to pick a direction and start, knowing that you'll certainly be less than perfect. 

This is another original recipe.  I started making it with a package of stir fry sauce mix powder stuff, but banned that from my life some while back.  Powder is not food.  My regular stir fry sauce is good for this.  Or use your favorite Asian stir fry sauce.  Add more vegetables if you like.  Use the left overs for lunches or additional meals.  




LeAnn's original stir fry sauce
1/4 t. fresh minced ginger
3 T soy sauce
1 c. water or broth
1 1/2 t. hoisen sauce
1 1/2 t. corn starch
1/2 Asian sweet chili sauce, optional

Fried Rice with Shrimp
1 lb frozen shrimp, thawed, shelled and deviened
2 T. oil
1 t. minced garlic
3 c. cooked rice
original stir fry sauce above or your own
1 cup. frozen peas

Put oil in a large flat skillet.  Add garlic and shrimp.  Cook on Medium hight until shrimp are turning pink.  Add remaining ingredients.  Cook an additional few minutes, until peas are hot and sauce thickens.

We'll eat this for dinner and the rest for lunch the next day.

Remember to eat real food and make consious choices. 

No comments:

Post a Comment