Monday, July 26, 2010

One roast - 3 meals

I'm making a number of changes in our lives.  One is a committment use all of my left overs very efficiently and never waste food.  I've been guilty of this in the past and I was raised better than that.  So this is 3 meals from one beef roast purchased on sale. 

Meal one.  Pot roast.  I have a brand new oven.  I am new to owning a convection oven.  This is the only stove I've ever owned which I cared to read the instructions for, but I love it and am looking forward to learning more.  Vegetables and potatoes.  Husband needed a comfort meal after all of the furniture moving he has been doing.

 

Meal two.  Barbecue beef sandwiches.  For lunch, I dashed home to toast my sandwich buns under the broiler of the new oven.  I wrapped them in foil and grabbed my barbecue beef and headed back to the office.  I transport food quite often, to work and back.  The microwave is the only means of cooking at our business, so I have to be creative.  I recommend owning an assortment of containers that microwave well, transport with a sealed lid, and can go straight into the dishwasher.  I bought this one from Goodwill, so this doesn't need to be a budget problem.

Once at work, I heated the beef and assembled the sandwiches.  This was just pieces of the roast and barbecue sauce poured over.  I used Josh's Sauce, recipe to follow, with my own secret ingredient.  I keep this sauce in a quart canning jar in my frig and use it many ways.  It is easy to make and uniformly handy.  And I know what's in it.  Just read the ingredients in some bottled sauces and you wonder what you are consuming. 

I had baggies of apple and carrots to go with.

The sandwich was savory and hardy.  Step-son said it was delicious.   Husband liked it, too. I had been thinking about it all morning.  Yum.

Josh's sauce
2 cups catchup
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 c. Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 c. soy sauce
2 t. minced garlic
4 shakes of chipotle tabasco sauce, optional but good

I've reserved enough of the roast for meal 3:  Beef Pilaf Salad.  Recipe for the salad will be coming soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment