Monday, July 19, 2010

Beef Vegetable Soup

Just before our forced remodel, I bought this cookbook at a thrift store.  Copyright 1978, the year after I graduated from highschool. 




You'd have to be the right generation to know how cool this book is to me.  Many an evening during our time at the motel room, I browsed this book and dreamed of things I'd make.   


Soup is comfort and happiness.  If you agree, you are a lucky person.




Many of my household goods are still packed.  Some are covered with fine construction dust.  For now, I'm stuck with just the basics, but it feels so good to start to get back to my normal routine.  

Beef stew has potato in it in my world.  My mother made stew.  I usually make it without the potato.  And my special ingredient that Mom would never had used - a can of beer.  I don't drink the stuff. The whole can goes in.  Husband comes by picking up the can.  No, you didn't leave it there, dear.  And no, I haven't started drinking it.

Beef Stew
4 T. Flour
1T. minced onion
2 lbs beef stew, cut very small. 
I think stew meat from the store must be cut up much smaller before it can be used.  What are you supposed to do with those big chunks? 


Combine the flour and onion.  Toss the beef in the flour to coat.  

2 T canola oil goes into my soup pot and I turn the new stove on.  

 As the oil heats, I add the coated meat, stirring as it browns a bit.     I'm not worried about cooking it.  It is just nasty old chuck, one of the worse cuts and will need to cook a long time before it is tender.  So once it is browned slightly but still pinkish in the middle, I start to add stuff. 



1 32 oz. carton of beef broth and the 12 oz can of beer.   
1 large or 2 small cloves garlic, finely minced
1/2 t. Italian seasoning and 1/2 t salt
1/2 t. Chipotle tabasco or your favorite hot sauce.
2 carrots and 1 rutabega, peeled and chopped finely
1 piece of celery, chopped finely
1 can each green beans and corn, drained first



Now bring it to a simmer and cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.  That old beef chuck becomes pull apart tender and yummy.  The pot gets cooled and into my frig.  It will be lunch for us this week.  Remember that soup makes you happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment