Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Berry Season

I was raised by gardeners.  My mother and grandmother had many things planted and we regularly ate strawberries, raspberries and blueberries in season.  Black berries grow wild in the Pacific NW, so it is easy to go out into fields and empty spaces to pick in late August. 

Within just the last couple of years, I got back into gardening and I have the following observations:

1.  Thank goodness for drip irrigation on a timer.  How the heck did my mother and grandmother raise so much food while watering manual?  They drug around a sprinkler and hose.  Remember to be thankful.

2.  The grandkids pick a lot of the best stuff.  Little miss Hailey regularly strips the raspberries, and strawberries.  She apparently has enough blueberries at her house that she leaves them alone.  Wait a second - I remember picking and eating in the garden as a kid.  Actually, it is an important memory.  This is part of what she will remember about me.  Well, okay, it's a good thing then.

3.  What is better than going out in the morning and picking a few berries for your cereal or yogurt?  Can't think of much.  The forced remodel has been a good reminder that the simpler things are what's important. 

4.  Ready and off to work.

Remember to be happy for worthwhile work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment