Friday, October 30, 2009

Halloween

Various children, young and old, will be coming through tomorrow. I've been instructed by a little friend that I am not to make the big pot of chili. She doesn't like chili because it is too spicy. I've told her that she might like mine because it isn't spicy. She is adament. I suspect some deep dark chili trama.

Knowing some about food trama, I've decided to go with the turkey spaghetti, which is approved of by all, young and old. I'll do baked brie for any who come before dinner time, get a garlic bread from the Safeway bakery because it is good and easy, and make a salad. I'm hoping that someone wants to make rice crispy treats with me. If they don't, I'll do it myself. Rice crispy treats remind me of happy things. Can't really say why, but I'm sure there is a reason. I remember making them with my Grandmother, but she was where most of my own food trama comes from.

It so cracks me up when I see Rice Crispy Treats packaged and for sale in the grocery. There is 3 ingredients! No baking! Kids can do it with help! A great thing to pour melted chocolate over, but what isn't improved with a little melted chocolate? Why are people so busy that they can't do these little things?

Spaghetti with Homemade Turkey Sausage
Don't skip the step of the turkey sausage setting in the frig overnight
1 lb ground turkey
1 1/2 t. fennel seed
1 t. water
1 t. freshly minced garlic
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. freshly ground pepper
1 jar (27 oz.) spaghetti sauce, your favorite brand
1 t. Italian seasoning, Optional if cooking for kids
pinch of cayenne pepper, optional if cooking for kids.
12 oz. spaghetti, cooked and drained (drizzle with a small amount of olive oil and toss)
In a large bowl, mix turkey, fennel, garlic, water, salt and pepper.
Cover and refrigerate overnight or longer. Cook in a large skillet, breaking it apart as it cooks. Once it is no longer pink, stir in spaghetti sauce, add the Italian seasoning and cayenne and simmer for a few minutes. Taste and add 1/2 to 1 t of italian seasoning and a pinch of cayenne pepper depending upon brand of sauce used and your taste. Add hot spaghetti and serve. Serves six

Update: Everything happened so fast. The brie never came out. The rice crispiy treats never got made. I had an extra guest I wasn't expecting. The spaghetti was all eaten immediately and I was wishing I had made more. And on to trick or treating.

No comments:

Post a Comment