Monday, May 23, 2011

Homemade Candied Ginger

This stuff has a shelf life.  I just don't know what it is yet, because I'm using it pretty fast.  Ever since I learned I could make my own candied ginger, I've been on a Ginger-Thing.




Candied Ginger
1 lb unpeeled ginger.  Its one pretty large one or two smaller.  I've been weighing them in the store, 'cause like I know how much ginger weighs? 





Peeled and very thinly sliced as uniformly as possible.


  

Combine the ginger with 2 c. granulated sugar and 1 1/2 c. water in a large sauce pan or skillet. 


Bring to boil.  Reduce heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes.  Stir every so often.  It gets darker in color and kind of curls up.  Most of the liquid evaporates.

Place pieces on paper towel to drain the liquid.  This was late in the evening about bed time, so it drained overnight and dried until morning.  
  
And there you go.  Store in an air tight container with a little bit of extra sugar in the frig until gone or for about 2 or 3 months, I'm thinking.     


3 comments:

  1. That is easier than the recipe I made, and it did not keep well, and not because I used it all up! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome posting for homemade candied ginger. really easy tips share in the post i just try .Interesting this post so thanks

    ReplyDelete