Sunday, May 1, 2011

Green Chili Enchiladas

A long time ago, I had a co-worker who made the best chicken enchiladas.  I've made them ever since.  For green chili sauce, I used the bottled green taco sauce.  Today, I'm using the sauce I made yesterday.

But first, some product decisions.  I support local business: 

Don Pancho products.  Manufactured in Salem OR, clearly a privately and locally owned company.  This is exactly the type of company I'm trying to support.  To make it easier, Safeway carries it.  I've seen them at Fred Meyer also.


Okay part of the thing is I like Juanita brand chips.  They are just really really good.  I haven't completely veted them, but it appears that they are indeed manufactured in Hood River,  OR.  I'd like to know more about the company.  In the meantime, did I mention they are good? 

Green Chili Enchiladas
2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded or chopped.  In a pinch, you can use 1/2 a roasted rotisserie chicken.  But everytime I have left over meat, I chop it up and freeze it or plan a meal like this to use it up to use it up. 


1/2 c. green chili sauce.  Homemade or bottled green taco sauce and 1/2 c. sour cream. 




I cup black beans.  I'm notorious for cooking an entire sack of beans and freezing the unused part, never to be seen again.  I'm working on dragging that stuff out and using it so it doesn't go to waste.  Or use a 16 oz can of black beans, drained.  I don't like refried in this, but that's another option if you do. 

Mix the above ingredients in a bowl.

A fourth of the mixture goes into the center of a tortilla and rolled enchilada style.  A cup of good cheese gets sprinkled over top.  A cup of your favorite red salsa on top of that.  Bake at 450 for 10 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly.

1 comment:

  1. So, this might help you vet Juanitas chips. It is a family owned and ran company that makes chips just off of Hwy 35 between Hood River and Odell. They also have another plant that makes spices up in Washington but your chips are made here in Oregon. Great company. My better half works for them. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions I'm at lisa_gabrielbbgirl@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete