Sunday, May 9, 2010

Old Fashioned Vanilla Ice Cream (4 qt.)

Homemade ice cream was made regularly during the summer when I was growing up.  Mom made the mixture; Dad manned the freezer.  During those years they had a hand crank freezer.  Let's just say there is a little bit of work involved in making ice cream this way.  

My daddy was not a big guy, but he was a serious dude.  When he did something, a lot of energy went into it.   But as it began to get harder, it would be more difficult to turn the crank.  I remember my daddy bent over the freezer on the covered patio just turning away.  When it got too difficult, he would ask one of the children to sit on top of the freezer.  Mom would bring towels or a pile of newspapers to put on top of it.  Then the child would sit on that.  You knew you were a big kid when you were allowed this honor.  
I have my mother's old recipe.  I remember asking her for it during a conversation in the car and her rattling it off while I jotted it down.  But I make a better ice cream.(I say that only because I know she won't be seeing this, but it is true.)  Sorry Momma.

Osborne Backyard Vanilla Ice Cream
2 1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. + 2 T. flour
1/2 t. salt
5 c. milk (2 % or whole)
4 eggs, beaten
4 c. cream or 1/2 and 1/2
2 T. vanilla

Combine flour, sugar and salt in a large pan.  Gradually stir in the milk, careful to whisk out any lumps.  Cook over medium heat approximately 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. 

Gradually, temper the eggs by slowly adding 1 cup of the hot mixture into the ends.  Slowly add the egg mixture back into the pan while whisking.  If you just dump it in, you'll have little bits of scrambled egg in your ice cream.


Take your time.  Then slowly pour it back into the pan.









Cook 1 minute.  Remove from heat.  Add cream or 1/2 & 1/2 and vanilla. 

Stick in the frig until it is fully chilled.  The colder it is when you put it in the freezer, the faster it will make

Freeze in an ice cream freezer per manufacturers directions.


 
I sometimes add some instant coffee and chocolate sauce to this recipe for a treat that is just over the top good.

More info coming, check back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment