Saturday, May 29, 2010

Holiday Burgers

While we are planning the construction work related to the water damage, I'm doing a lot of comfort cooking.  The insurance company will pay 70% of the dining out bill, quite frankly, we want to eat at home.  So here we are, a quiet weekend with a lot coming up next week and our nerves a bit on edge, I'm cooking comfort food. For me that is grilling, casseroles, and soup.  More soup and casseroles to come.

These are burgers which I have made for many years for special gatherings.  I think of it as my own, but looking at my notes, it appears that I have modified a 1999 magazine article from the Quick Cooking Magazine.  

Holiday Grilled Burgers
1 c. (4 oz.) shredded mexican style cheese.  
1 can (4 12 oz) sliced mushrooms, drained and finely chopped
1/3 c mayonnaise, the real thing and good quality
6 bacon strips, very good quality, cooked and finely chopped. 
2 lbs ground beef
1/4 c. shallot, finely chopped
1 t. salt
1/2 t. ground pepper
1 or 2 cloves garlic finely minced
1/8 t. chipoltle pepper tabasco sauce
Good hamburger buns, toasted at the last minute
lettuce leaves from the garden
tomato slices.  

One trick to making burgers with lots of ingredients is that everything should be chopped very finely.  Big chunks don't hold together on the grill well.  The Mayo binds it together so don't skimp and use the real thing.  A little extra would be fine if you don't get a smooth and cohesive mixture. Combine all ingredients prior to the buns.  Clean hands are the best tool for this job.  Keep smushing it together until completely incorporated. 

Then pat together patties.  A sheet of wax paper between the layers of patties.  Chill them as cold as they can get in the fridge.  This helps them hold together on a hot grill. 

When you are ready, get your grill screaming hot.  On go the patties.  A few minutes on both sides.  I do medium to medium well when I make them myself on a grill even though I prefer a little pink on meat.  Just seems like a good idea. 

These burgers turn out moist on the inside.  The high heat of the grill and (let's face it) the fat content makes a crust outside that is appealing and satisfying.  The big eaters may like a slice of cheese melted over top and extra condiments.  For us ladies, a good bun, a tomato slice and lettuce leaf from the garden.  Today, I'm serving it with husband's favor bbq chips, potato salad - my mom's recip, our favorite green salad (See  http://dinnerattheosbornes.blogspot.com/2009/11/our-favorite-salad.html)  No Dessert.  No excuses.  Just didn't make one. 

Check back for pictures of the event. 

Remember to take good care of yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment