Monday, May 24, 2010

My Home, My Hiding Place.

I've been gone for a while, gone from my blog, gone from yoga, gone from other things.  We had a major plumbing problem and a flood in my wonderful house, my haven, my safe place.  Life has an interesting way of sending  us the lessons that we need in the severity that we are able to handle.  Yes, I know that I am safe and loved.  But some how, there is a part of me that feels too vulnerable to the outside world.  I have always built a little nest around me that I could come to for protection and safety, a place to feel good.  I left the house as normal too early in the morning.  There was no problem then.  I came home to make our lunch to find a disaster, water everywhere.  

I called my husband's cell.  He answered and I said, "I need you home.  It's an emergency."  He said, "I'm on my way and hung up."  He didn't question me.  He didn't doubt me.  There was no hesitation.  I spent the next few minutes trying to turn off the water.  I was finely successfull at turning the water off about the time he arrived.  We spent the next 4 or 5 hours working together using our rug shampooer to vacuum up water.  We literally swept it out the door.  It was everywhere.  My hardwood floor is ruined. 

I cried and had a sizeable pitty party.  I drank a little wine.  But here is an observation or two:  First, he was there in a flash.  It is important to know who you can count on in life.  Second, it is important to know that together we can do anything.  We have proven it over and over again.  We are incredibly different people.  When we work separately or against each other, we can just devastate ourselves. But when we work together, our varied styles and our opposite talents, skills and abilities create a sort of synergy.  Anything is possible.

So now, we have an insurance claim.  Thank goodness for good insurance.  It appears that everything is covered after the deductible.   Another lesson to be learned.  We will general contract the repair work ourselves.  This is who we are.  We own a construction company.  We can do this.  We will be okay.   

It appears that some of the work will need to be done with us out of the house.  Our insurance covers a motel room if we have to be out of the house and 70% of our bill eating out if we can't cook in our own kitchen.  I don't want to leave my house.  But ultimately, I know we will be back, bigger and better.  The wood floors will be replaced,  The wet spots will be dryed.  The damaged door frames and dry wall will be replaced.  We'll get through it. 

And like other challenges that we've been through.  And there have been a few.  We'll emerge better and stronger than before. 

I love my husband. Remember to tell the ones you love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment