Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Zucchini Yogurt Nut Bread

I'm Yogurt obsessed right now.  No other way to say it.  Something about finding that I can make something that I consider of value so easily and cheaply and such good quality is making me giddy.  My family is staying out of the way and good for them.

I planted no zucchini this year.  I concentrated my raised beds on tomatoes and beans which are both late.  But zucchini is everywhere, cheap and reminds me of happy things.  I have no problems buying it at Bizi farms.  I've been making this bread weekly for a few weeks also.  I hope to get a few loaves in the freezer, but I keep scoffing it down. 

Zucchini Yogurt Nut Bread
1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted in a dry sauce pan for a few minutes
1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
3/4 c. sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 c. canola oil
1/2 c. plain good quality yogurt (check here to make your own)http://dinnerattheosbornes.blogspot.com/2010/08/yogurt.html
1 cup grated zucchini (peeled first)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Spray a loaf pan with non stick spray.

In a large bowl, combine both flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.  Make a well in the middle and add the eggs and oil to the well.  Stir briefly.  Add the yogurt and zucchini  and stir to just combined.  Add the nuts and stir once more.  Quick breads can be over stirred.  Mix them only until all the dry is incorporated into the wet. 

Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes.  Set the timer.  Let cool and serve of seal it air tight.  This type of bread freezes well and makes good gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment