Saturday, January 30, 2010

Elk Hash

Long time ago, when I first married my husband, a friend, Sharon, who taught with me asked me to describe my husband. I said, "Well... he's kind of a cross between a mountain man... and a dictator of a small third world country." When my mother asked me to do the same, I said, "Well... he is like Dad in many ways, a crispy tough-guy coating with a marshmallow center." I'm pretty sure Mom would have liked the second description more.  Here he is examining the work of our subcontractor who installs thermostats.  He's not exactly thrilled about something, which we are about to hear all about.  Step-son is behind him.

I have a bunch of elk meat in my freezer. My step son is responsible for putting it there. See the November 23rd post for more about that. It is often handy to have a couple of mountain men in my life. Hunters, pit bulls, wolves, protectors. And it is occasionally, although not always, handy to have a couple of dictators… small third world country or otherwise.

Either way, I have enjoyed playing with my elk meat. It is tender and lean, much more than comparable meat that I buy in the store. I probably know exactly what my elk ate and where he lived; I often wonder about the meat I buy. I actually saw him, touched him. Said a little elk-spirit prayer over him.

So anyway, last week, I had some of my elk out and started to make dinner. I didn't have a particular recipe in mind. What happened turned out pretty well and my husband asked for it again on Date Night. This time I wrote it down.

Elk Hash. 

Roasted potatoes. See January 20 post
1 1/2 lb Elk meat, washed and dried, then thinly sliced.
1 t. canola oil
1 T butter
1/2 t. salt
2 T. flour
1C. milk
1/4 c. white wine
1 lb crimini mushrooms, cleaned and quartered.

Saute the thinly sliced elk meat in oil until mostly done.  Remove the meat pieces but leave the drippings in the pan.  Add the butter, mushrroms and wine.  Cook until just soft.  Add the flour and whisk to make a paste.  Gradually add the milk, whisking until the sauce is smooth. 

To assemble, place the hot roast potates on a platter.  Top with the elk meat.  Pour the sauce over top.  Return the a warm oven until we are ready to eat.

Oh,  And here is the next generation of mountain man, dictator, hunter, pit bull, wolf.  Step-son's son.  And yes, I can feel the same powerful person within him.  This is going to be interesting.

Remember to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment