Friday, December 11, 2009

My Sweet Cornmeal Muffins

My mother made cornbread in a 8 x 8 inch pan or larger and cut it in squares.  You would receive a square of it on your plate, very hot, to split open and spread with butter and a sweet, jam or honey, sometimes mollasses.  Both of my parents grew up in rural northwest Oklahoma in the 30s.  They were dramatically affected by the Depression.  My Grandfather, a natural born story teller, told of years of draught and crop failure.  Poverty like most of us now can't imagine.  They had a garden, canned everything, and kept a cow.  They slaughtered a cow when they could and canned the meat.  My mother always said they were never hungry but didn't usually have much choice about what they ate.  

So much in modern life is taken for granted.  So much consumption is just assumed.  So many of us feel deprived if we don't have this or that.  The Best Things in life are simple, fairly easy, just not advertised on prime time TV.

Cornmeal Muffins for 2 or 3.
1/2 c. biscuit mix
1/2 c. yellow cornmeal
2 T. sugar
1/2 c. milk
2 eggs beaten
4 t. vegetable oil


Combine dry ingredients.  Add wet ingredients.  Stir until just moistened.  This is a thin batter. 

Pour into sprayed muffin tins.  Yes, I fill muffin tins to the top.  And yes, I know you home ec teacher and the Betty Crocker Cook Book says to fill them 2/3 full.  This is how I do it.


Bake  at 400 degrees for 15 - 18 minutes or until golden brown.  And of course, eat them hot.  Left overs make good snacks.

Remember to be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment